Movies about AI and robots
Robots without AI are just dumb machines, so quite logically robots that appear in sci-fi stories are strongly connected to AI. Here is an incomplete list of such movies which I found noteworthy in a good or bad way. I am sure I forgot some obvious ones but there will still be plenty of more obscure ones. Either way I am happy to have your remarks and pointers in the comments or messages.
I will start with a list featuring androids, which are robots that are not only humanoid but effectively so well-made that they are indistinguishable from real humans. The second list is with robots of any kind, the third one is about related movies featuring some kind cyborg or otherwise hybrid human-artificial intelligent beings. Adding a forth one which I think is also related about (it is all a) simulation hypothesis.
Movies with androids
- Blade Runner (classic), a major topic of Blade Runner actually is the difficulty of distinguishing androids and humans. I thought Blade Runner 2 was quite good as well.
- Real humans (Swedish original, 2012), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Humans
- Ich bin dein Mensch (I’m your Man) 2021, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Your_Man_(2021_film)
- A.I. - Artificial Intelligence, 2001, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.I._Artificial_Intelligence
- Eva, 2011 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_(2011_film)
- Love, death and robots, EP14S1, Zima Blue, https://lovedeathrobots.fandom.com/wiki/Zima_Blue
- Westworld (both original and series), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(film), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)
Other robot or AI movies
- Chappie (CHAPPiE), 2015, by Neill Blomkamp, very nice and plausible story about an actual developmental robot in the wild, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappie_(film)
- Ex machina, 2014, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_Machina_(film)
- Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy (robot Marvin)
- Final space (robot KVN, among others)
- Her, 2013, by Spike Jonze, Man falls in love with chatbot, had to stop watching in the middle because it felt awkward, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)
- 2001: A Space Odyssey HAL. HAL’s embodiment is the spaceship? OK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film) bwo Joe Gilmore.
- Interstellar, 2014, they have these clonky robots in that film, https://interstellarfilm.fandom.com/wiki/Interstellar_Wiki
- Nummer fünf lebt (classic)
- Hi, Ai - Liebesgeschichten aus der Zukunft (hi ai, documentary, bwo udk 111) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9081788/
- Hardware, 1990, Indie cyperpunk, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_(film)
- Brian and Charles, 2022, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_and_Charles
Not directly AI but highly related, brain interfacing and mind upload
- Ghost in the Shell (1995 original), more a cyborg tale, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(1995_film)
- Paprika, 2006, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika_(2006_film)
- Pantheon, 2022, TV series, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon_(TV_series), GitS reference included. bwo sansculotte
- Robocop, 1987, (classic), dead person is revived as a cyborg
- Welt am Draht (World on a Wire), 1972, Fassbinder, Two part TV show, great style and mood. Story by Daniel F. Galoye, 1964, Simulacron-3, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacron-3
- The thirtenth floor, remake of Welt am Draht / re-adaptation of Simulacron-3
- Matrix trilogy, for completeness
Aliens and alien robot embodiment
- Under the skin, 2013, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Skin_(2013_film), bwo Luke Harby
- Terminator 1,2,3, including the time travel this is close to an alien robot
- Star Wars of course, but this one is so big I will leave to specialist sites / people.